C# has recently been made open source and now supports cross-platform development for Linux, macOS, and Windows. It can be used to create everything from business applications, websites, and services to games for Android and iOS mobile phones and Xbox One. If you want to build powerful cross-platform applications with C# 7 and .Net Core, then this book is for you.
First, we’ll run you through the basics of C#, as well as object-orient programming, before taking a quick tour through the latest features of C# 7 such as tuples, pattern matching, and out variables. We also look at the features of C# 6 such as string interpolation, exception filtering, and static class imports. We’ll also cover both the full-feature, mature .NET framework and the newer, cross-platform .NET Core.
After quickly taking you through C# and how .NET works, we’ll dive into the internals of the .NET class libraries, covering topics such as performance, monitoring, debugging, serialization, and encryption. We’ll look at managing your data with Entity Framework Core, developing code-first entity data models, and using LINQ to query and manipulate that data.
The final section demonstrates the major types of applications that you can build and deploy cross-device and cross-platform. In this section, we’ll cover Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, web applications, and web services. Last, we’ll help you build a complete application that can be hosted on all of today’s most popular platforms, including Linux and Docker.
By the end of the book, you’ll be armed with all the knowledge you need to build modern, cross-platform applications using C# and .NET Core.
What you will learn
● Build cross-platform applications using C# 7 and .NET Core.
● Explore ASP.NET Core and learn how to create professional web applications.
● Improve your application’s performance using multitasking.
● Use Entity Framework Core and find out how to build code-first databases.
● Master object-oriented programming with C# to increase code reuse and efficiency.
● Familiarize yourself with cross-device app development using the Universal Windows Platform and XAML.
● Query and manipulate data using LINQ.
● Protect your data by using encryption and hashing.