Get up to speed with Prometheus, the metrics-based monitoring system used by tens of thousands of organizations in production. This practical guide provides application developers, sysadmins, and DevOps practitioners with a hands-on introduction to the most important aspects of Prometheus, including dashboarding and alerting, direct code instrumentation, and metric collection from third-party systems with exporters.
This open source system has gained popularity over the past few years for good reason. With its simple yet powerful data model and query language, Prometheus does one thing, and it does it well. Author and Prometheus developer Brian Brazil guides you through Prometheus setup, the Node exporter, and the Alertmanager, then demonstrates how to use them for application and infrastructure monitoring.
- Know where and how much to apply instrumentation to your application code.
- Identify metrics with labels using unique key-value pairs.
- Get an introduction to Grafana, a popular tool for building dashboards.
- Learn how to use the Node Exporter to monitor your infrastructure.
- Use service discovery to provide different views of your machines and services.
- Use Prometheus with Kubernetes and examine exporters you can use with containers.
- Convert data from other monitoring systems into the Prometheus format.